Posted: May 7 2018, 10:35 PM
Mutant
APP
PLOT
he/him
Kiko
is Offline

i've got the magic in me
In theory, meditation was great for controlling his powers.

In theory.

Translating the things he was taught to his reality was a bit trickier. Billy had never exactly prided himself on having the greatest focus. Sure, he could pour all of his attention into his favorite books, but that was real and present. There was something tangible, an object that he could physically touch, to focus on. Trying to do the same with his power was like cupping water in his hands. It always seemed to slip through his fingers the longer he sat there, and he never really felt in control.

Plus, meditating was hard. He always found himself developing some random itch when he was meant to be sitting still, or wound up drifting off and daydreaming. Once, he'd definitely fallen asleep, and that had just been a nightmare. Magic while awake was enough of a struggle; asleep, it was even more unpredictable. And it certainly didn't help that he was never alone when he practiced. There was always someone there at the corner of his vision, the edge of his perception, and his own self-consciousness made his skin crawl.

It also didn't help that one of the other students - if he could really call them that - was far better than he was.

Nico's magic seemed easier by default, and Billy couldn't count the number of times that he'd cursed his luck for getting landed with his specific powerset. Not that he was envious of her situation; he very much liked his family, and he wouldn't have traded them for the world. (He could have done without the younger brothers, though.) But things seemed to come easily to Nico, and she held herself with a grace that he honestly envied. A lot of the time, it seemed like she was born to do this, whereas he'd just accidentally stumbled into this world of magic.

Meditation just wasn't happening today, not with all of that swirling through his head. Groaning (possibly too loudly), the teen pressed the heels of his hands to his closed eyes, rubbing at his face before scrubbing his hands back through his hair. His legs ached from sitting crosslegged, but the pinprick sensation that he could feel told him that getting up would just be another embarrassment. His hands dropped, eyes opening, and he glanced over at the girl, biting his lip before blurting out, "How do you do it? It just seems like this all comes so much easier for you."
Nico Minoru
god this is so late but magic babes!
PM
^
Nico Minoru
 Posted: May 23 2018, 10:21 PM
Nico Minoru
Sister Grimm
Superhuman
APP
PLOT
she/her
Kiri
is Offline

Nico Minoru was a full-fledged Asian, yes. But was she the kind of Asian that had grown up around traditional shrines learning to clear her mind while surrounded by swirls of incense and robed monks? No. Definitely not. She'd been an altar girl at a Catholic Church, and even then her mind hadn't always been able to shut off when she was supposed to be lost in prayer. So when meditation was tossed into the lesson plan, she was less than confident.

Even the average teenager would have a hard time leveling out the mess inside their mind to just sit and be, but Nico had a few healthy doses of crazy life circumstances tossed in there to make it harder. On top of that, her mind was almost always thinking of what the other Runaways were up to, if they were okay, if she needed to go buy more cereal again. Actually, the biggest help had been the alien-bug-lady-friend of Strange's, who was able to actually force Nico to clear her mind once so she had somewhat of an idea of what she was trying to get to when they meditated. She wasn't quite there yet, but she could feel the edges of her focus almost zoning away from the room.

Almost. At least, until a defeated groan broke the silence in the room. She was going to try and least act like she could get back into the semi-meditative state up until the boy spoke in her direction.

The snort of a laugh that came out of the young witch was anything but demure, and even after having spent some time studying at the Sanctum it still felt out of place to make such a sound. Something about how expansive and obviously old the Santum Sanctorum and its contents were combined with Doctor Strange's profound attitude made Nico feel like she needed to try to be much more serious to belong. Especially considering this was pretty much her only chance at getting a magic tutor, so she really didn't want to be kicked out due to poor behavior. Not sucking at spells was kind of a big deal.

After giving a quick glance around the room to confirm they were alone, her eyes shifted back to the new pupil. "Trust me, you wouldn't be saying that if you had been there when I pelted some bad guys with pelicans. Or when I wanted everyone to freeze, but ended up with an ice rink." Stretching her legs out into a more relaxed seating position, Nico threw a smile Billy's way. "I think it just looks like I have it together when I've got the Staff since we have a kind of...understanding," Or creepy, sorta symbiotic relationship. But details. "But when Strange makes me go without it I'm a total magical mess. So, don't feel bad."

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by josh dun of shine, cc, wecode, and ctw.
cfs by black @ code, cts by ree @ shine, cps by sidhe @ shine,
collapsible script by Kismet @ RPG-Directory, code box script by nicole @ shine.
sidebar tabs, skin edits, and templates made by kiko exclusively for wyat.

Marvel Topsites Shadowplay Topsites